A Fishing Flutter *

Tell us about your interesting Wildlife Experiences
Flutterby

A Fishing Flutter *

Post by Flutterby »

SO is a keen angler although we don't get to go fishing too often, as his work takes up so much of his time! :O^

Our last two fishing trips were down to Richards Bay. SO's brother booked a camping site and eventually convinced SO to come. I say "convinced' as SO only camps under extreme duress...luckily the Brat knows how to do "extreme duress" very well! :twisted:

The first trip was in December 2009. The Brat and I left with BIL and his family in the early morning, and SO was flying down two days later as he had work to finish! O** Somewhere around Mkuze, BIL's car broke down (and he'd just had it serviced)!! 0*\ Thank goodness I was in my trusty KIA, so we packed the kids in and as much luggage as we could and I carried on to Richards Bay, while BIL waited for a tow truck...he then had to hire a car for the rest of the holiday! 0-

We eventually all made it to Richards Bay, albeit at different times, and settled into camp life and lots of fishing. :-) As camping sites go, Richards Bay is lovely. It's on the beach, the sites are all shaded and cool, and there's a lovely big pool to cool off in. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet this is not the place for you! O** And if you are not into the latest 'Afrikaanse Treffers', which get played at the pool all day long, stay away!! -O After staying here twice, my knowledge and appreciation of Afrikaans music had somewhat increased! ;-)

We spent most days at the jetty fishing, with occasional visits to the beach for the kids to swim. There is abundant marine life around the jetty and it wasn't uncommon to see monster jelly fish floating around.

The kids had a ball catching lots of colourful fish - which all got thrown back. \O

The Brat's cousins...Luca & Giuliana.

Flutterby

Re: A Fishing Flutter

Post by Flutterby »

This trip was before I got my DSLR so the pics aren't great. ;-)

Beach anglers

I think this is a Ghost Crab.

Grey-headed Gulls

The Brat loving the water!

Some more lovely fishies.

This is a Lion or Scorpion fish. I had to hold this extremely carefully - very poisonous! O-/

Imagine if we had had our marine tank then!! ;-)

Toko

Post by Toko »

The poisonous thing looks nice ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Would a tourist who is not into fishing enjoy Richards Bay, too :-? ?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Toko, it is quite an industrial town with a busy harbour, so apart from fishing and lying on the beach there's not much to do or see. I would rather go further north to St. Lucia or Sodwana. \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Richards Bay has a very busy harbour and the jetty is near the harbour entrance so there is a constant stream of ships entering and leaving.

SO untangling the kids' lines! :O^

The Bay

Me with a HUGE catch! =O: O**

The Brat with one of the many fish he caught.

It was on this trip that I got into birding. There is such a variety of birds in Richards Bay, it's hard to ignore them. ;-) My first Plum-coloured Starling. O:V

One day we arrived to find this young shark dying on the jetty!! We wanted to throw it back but the person who had caught it said he was keeping it for bait!!! O/ O/ :evil:

When fishing we do occasionally keep the nice-size fish for a fish braai. Unfortunately on this trip we didn't catch any "nice-size" ones so we had to buy them!! -O :O^

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

In December 2010 we went down to RB again, but this time I had my new camera, so better pics. ;-)

One of our neighbours! ;-)

Caspian Tern

Back at the beach at last!!

The steep walk back to camp! :O^

The view from the top.

Sundowner time X#X

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We also had box fish, but these were used to catch other fish, not eat! :twisted:

As I said before, Richards Bay has a very busy harbour, and the jetty is a prime spot to watch the comings and goings.

The Brat with a Wrasse of some sort - maybe a Ladder Wrasse. -O-

A Blacktail - I think. ;-)

A Greyheaded Gull with lunch.

Getting creative with shells on an old metal pipe. ;-)

The end of another day.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The last few pics from Richards Bay. ;-)

A jellyfish washed up on the beach.

The perwinkle pickers.

The lone angler.

A brollie and a boat! :-0

Greyheaded Gulls

A brewing storm.

This boat came in flying their blue flag proudly to tell everyone they had caught a Blue Marlin...such a waste of beautiful creature!! O/

A spot of HDR.

Return to “Tales of Wildlife Experiences & Animal Behaviour”