Tenikwa Rehab & Awareness Centre*

Tell us about your interesting Wildlife Experiences
Katja

Tenikwa Rehab & Awareness Centre*

Post by Katja »

On our last trip to SA while travelling along the Garden Route we visited a small Wildlife Awareness & Rehabilitation Centre called Tenikwa.

Today I would like to introduce this centre to you, with some pics and details.

Introduction (taken from Tenikwa brochure!)

Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness Centre offers a close, safe, interactive encounter with all of the lesser cats of South Africa, as well as Cheetahs and Leopard in a natural environment. The Tenikwa encounter is a great follow-on to a game reserve / safari experience; affording the opportunity to study these beautiful animals at close quarters, whilst learning about their struggle to survive in the wild. 1 hour guided tours and a unique „Walk with our Cheetahs“ are some of the programs we offer. Tenikwa also has a Meerkat Meander where visitors can enjoy Meerkats and Tortoises and there is also a variety of indigenous waterfowl, Blue Cranes and Marabou Storks to delight bird watchers. Tenikwa supports the upliftment of local communities through Eco tourism and is environmentally responsible.

It was a wonderful experience for us to be so close to these cats and again we learnt a lot. A guide takes you into the enclosures after informing about the rules! You are not allowed to touch any of the animals, but the animals might touch you.
While visiting the cheethas a second guide will join, as the little cheetahs might get to playful and the adults ......
In the enclosure of the adult cheetahs, children have to be close to their parents. Well we didn’t have experienced problems, as the cheetahs were quite tired.
The only enclosure you are not allowed to enter is the one of the leopard, as it is too dangerous.

Here are some pics of these beautiful cats.

This African Wild Cat is blind on one eye and has no tail, therefore it couldn’t be returned to its natural habitat.

These Caracals were quite shy.

Young Servals; this was my favourite enclosure! They came so close and I just stood there with a huge smile and enjoyed every second.

Both, adults and youngsters, were tired that day. Nevertheless it was amazing to be so close to them.

This male leopard is huge! Gladly he came out and showed us his beauty.

Here is a link to their webpage for further information Tenikwa

I hope this will wake your interest in this lovely place.
:lol:

Return to “Tales of Wildlife Experiences & Animal Behaviour”