Making Photo Collages

Discuss & view pics of a general nature
ExFmem

Making Photo Collages

Post by ExFmem »

PLEASE add your own instructions using any software available.

I still use an old version of Photoshop Elements, so more up-to-date programs are more than welcome.

Photoshop Collage

1. Open Photoshop - click Create (upper right) > Photo college
Choose your size from the 3 options (I will choose 12x12 inches)
Click "OK"
coll1.jpg
coll1.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 330 times
2. Delete individual "picture slots" if you want fewer pics by highlighting the frame and click the Delete button on your computer.
coll2.jpg
coll2.jpg (191.38 KiB) Viewed 330 times
I only need 4 pics for this collage, so I deleted all the others.

3. Click the center of any frame and choose the photo you want. You can drag the frames to different positions, resize, rotate to vertical, etc to fit your needs, as well as clicking Arrange (upper middle bar) > Bring to front etc.

Here I've added my 4 pics and rotated one to vertical
coll3.jpg
coll3.jpg (324.98 KiB) Viewed 330 times
4. You can select a different background by clicking Artwork > and double click one of the options.
coll4.jpg
coll4.jpg (185.28 KiB) Viewed 330 times
5. I find the choices too limiting, so I save the file as a jpeg on my desktop, then re-open it in photoshop, choose the background I desire using the PaintBucket tool, add borders and text (see separate Topic how-to), and viola! 3 hours later you have a collage!
Storks.jpg
Storks.jpg (300.37 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Kidding…it doesn't take nearly that long, so just let your imagination be your guide and have fun….then go make a photo book with Blurb, or any other book creation site you choose.

nan

Re: Making Photo Collages

Post by nan »

well done ^Q^
I made some tests with PSP (Paint Shop Pro) and, like you said, we can stay hours to play with lol

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I've never had a photoshop program in which I could arrange the photos for a collage.
There was / is only the option to choose the amount of photos that should be included in the collage
and I have to make it rearrange the pictures until I'm happy. 0:

I assume you have to pay for the real Photoshop?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks Ex. \O

I have played around with My Photobook by FujiFilm. I've never had a book printed but I seem to remember it was very easy to use and quite versatile. \O

nan

Post by nan »

Flutterby wrote:Thanks Ex. \O

I have played around with My Photobook by FujiFilm. I've never had a book printed but I seem to remember it was very easy to use and quite versatile. \O
I used IFOLOR.... and printed several books.... nice to do and easy \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:ty: All! Interesting!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

nan wrote:well done ^Q^
I made some tests with PSP (Paint Shop Pro) and, like you said, we can stay hours to play with lol
Yes, it can be time consuming, but doesn't HAVE to be. Once you get the hang of it, it really can be quite simple. I fuss over the size/placement of the pics, so that "wastes" some time as well, but it is fun when you get an acceptable outcome.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Mel wrote:I've never had a photoshop program in which I could arrange the photos for a collage.
There was / is only the option to choose the amount of photos that should be included in the collage
and I have to make it rearrange the pictures until I'm happy. 0:

I assume you have to pay for the real Photoshop?
I'm not familiar with whichever program you used, but I have Elements 9, (I think, will edit if incorrect), an old version. Sometimes it comes with a camera purchase, etc. and may be very inexpensive due to all the newer versions -O- -O- It's enough for me, as I'm not really advanced enough in post processing to waste $$ for too high-tech stuff.

The ability to size, rearrange, move pics is certainly worth it, for me.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Yes, I use Blurb, and make a book every trip for us, and they have many pre-set layouts/collage options that you can just plug your photos into, so is quite user friendly.

I like to make my own pages, (more versitile for background colors, text placement, etc), so use Photoshop for most of them, just adjust my final product to the 11 x 13 book size that I prefer.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

nan wrote:

I used IFOLOR.... and printed several books.... nice to do and easy \O
Thanks, nan, haven't heard of them, so it's nice to introduce a new name into the mix for those in countries where it may be more readily available. :ty:

Return to “General Photography Discussion Forum”