Focus on the eyes IF possible

Discuss the technical side of photography
Peter Betts

Focus on the eyes IF possible

Post by Peter Betts »

This is a nice sharp head shot taken about f6 for a little bit of Depth of Field ..I really concentrated on his eyes putting a focus point right over the near eye like I did here ..Sometimes I get it wrong and get a super sharp Shoulder and a fuzzy nose and washed out eyes ..I processed this this evening and used 2 stops of Dehaze slider ..to soften the bright background and leave the focus on the lion without too much other distractions ..I also removed a couple of very distracting out of focus skimpy weeds on the very bottom right border leaving the cat as the centre of attraction with pin sharp eyes . A click will show up the in focus near eye
Lion Profile.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Focus on the eyes IF possible

Post by Richprins »

Agreed! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great pic. \O

Dindingwe

Post by Dindingwe »

Nice photo.
May we have the original to compare the improvements ?
:ty:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Dindingwe wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:14 pm Nice photo.
May we have the original to compare the improvements ?
:ty:
Sadly the original is a RAW image of 75Mb which wont load and will melt Africa Wild :-) lol The only improvements was a SMALL amount of dehaze to lower the bright new sun effect on the far background and bottom right ..2 x distracting weeds where the signature is
Last edited by Peter Betts on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Another example of putting that Focus Point right on the closer Eye...I couldnt have asked for better light than this moment of sunrise side lighting
Face is lit by the sun but hasnt hit the road yet so no shadows YET ..another minute and the light would be starting to go flat ..needs a click to see the eye properly
Sunrise Cheetah Cub.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The last example of concentrating on the eyes ..This time a hunting Cheetah mother using my Bakkie in a way to get closer to a lone Springbok ram 150 metres behind where I was parked alone near Kij Kij waterhole in Kgalagadi ..But she abandoned soon after as the Bokkie had her scent and was already snorting/alarm calling when I pressed the shutter on this one ..40 mins after sunrise and look at those horrible shadows already...a good example of the light already going flat and its not even breakfast time ...
Cheetah Hunting.jpg

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”