Discuss the technical side of photography
harrys

Lense Mould

Post by harrys »

Question, what is mould on a lense :o0ps:

Sprocky

Re: Lense Mould

Post by Sprocky »

Exactly that Harry. If a lens is not stored in a dry area it can result in mould growing on the inside of the lens. Always keep silica gel in your camera bag, it removes the moiture from the air in the bag. If you have mould growing already, best you send your lens in for a service, they will be able to clean the mould off. DON"T TRY IT YOUR SELF!!!

harrys

Post by harrys »

Thanks Sprocky \O , I saw a lense for sale in ODP site, the seller said the lense(170/500 sigma for Canon)had some mould on the lense, would you say its worth buying this lense and have it cleaned(lense price R2500.00)

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

R2500 is a good price for that lens, but I suggest you first have a look at it to see how bad the mould is and in what condition the lens is. Also try and get a rough idea on how much a service and clean will cost.

harrys

Post by harrys »

Thanks will do just that \O

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Hi Harrys I have such a lense and it's great. I have had mine for 5 years now and don't have mould, Was it not droped in water ??I would check to see if the electronics work that is the focusing motor and how sharp it focuses first also \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I live at the coast and used to use Sigma lenses. My ex 170-500 got mould after we had been here 5 months. My Nikon lenses are weather sealed and have had them well over 2 years and no mould in my safe..I take them out oncea month and put them in the sun for a few hours to BANISH any possible mould starting up.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Tools of the trade..2007 Tamboti Tented camp cleaning my dusty kit. This was a great tandem pair of Nikon zooms. The small one was the 70-200 f2.8 VR1 and the left larger one the 200-400 f4 complimented the smaller. However the 70-200 was designed for a crop factor camera and was perfect for my then 1.5x crop factor D200 but once I had gone full frame D700 the corners got blacked out (Vignetting) The VRII version I have now was designed specifically for the new FX Full frame sensor and has become a very worthy replacement. I loved the 200-400 f4 which ona D200 was effectively a 300-600 f4 but on full frame it went back to 200-400 so I replaced it with a 500 f4 for more reach and the prime is sharper than the 200-400 which was awesome anyway in that dept

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Nice equipment Peter. \O

BTW, did you clean your sensor after taking this shot?

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Sensor clean LOL...In those days I had a D200 and sometimes the dust spots were so bad that it looked likea herd of ellies were on it and careful blowing was enough witha blow brush and everytime I passed Nikon in Kyalami I got them to do the sensor...The camera I have now hasa fancy vibrate function as you turn it on and in 15 months I have never hada spot and I am continually changing lenses as I only have 1 camera..I think most new cameras have this these days.

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”