To buy Canon or Nikon?

Discuss the technical side of photography
JoeKing

To buy Canon or Nikon?

Post by JoeKing »

Tue Sep 27, 2011

I'll have about 15k to spend in a few months on a camera.

Any advice please, i want to get a big lens, i know my budget don’t allow for a huge lens, PLEASE HELP O/

leachy

Re: To buy Canon or Nikon?

Post by leachy »

hi joekin.

to be honest 15 k is not enough to set yourself up with a decent slr and a decent lens

you can, however, get a decent canon point and shoot with amazing optical zoom capabilities that would almost equal an 800mm lens.

if you are based in a city then visit your nearest photographic supplier and check it out.

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

I just wanna start off with one of those kits u get with the changeable lenses, in the future i want to look at bigger lenses but someing that i can get now that in future i can upgrade.

I’ve been seeing those Nikon and canon combos everyone is selling and was looking at one of them to start.

leachy

Post by leachy »

those start up combo kits are fairly good in that you usually get a 17-85 and a 17-300 (or something similar)

and you can start using the creative modes and enjoy a fast shutter reaction copared to the point and shoot.

with regards to canon or nokia...........

they are both excellent products
and rumor has it that the nokia lens technology is moving ahead of the competition.

i am a canon user and have come up the ranks from a 350d to a 400d to a 40d and now have a 7d with a 15-85 and a 100-400

from here i will probably just upgrade on lenses when "my ship comes in"

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Joekin...I bought one of those start-up kits.....a Canon 1000d with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, and I'm very happy, although I would suggest going for a better model than the 1000d! ;-)

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Talking about Canon Nikon...As you know Nikon's big Zoom the 200-400 f4 has been out for nearly 15 years and earlier this year Canon finally after much moaning by its supporters announced they were bringing out their version. Now nearly a year later and nothing on the horizon..I mean how long does it take to copy a working optical path??..my mates are crying wondering when.

Also talking about Canon's announcement of their superfast 1Dx ...does anyone know what the RAW buffer size will be..My mate in the know reckons it will only be about half that of the current Nikon version D3S ..Its looking more like a top Sports Newspaper photographers camera and if you want a Wildlife pro camera get a 1DMkIV which is a proven entity in the nature genre in the Canon stable.

mikef

Post by mikef »

Peter Betts wrote:Also talking about Canon's announcement of their superfast 1Dx ...does anyone know what the RAW buffer size will be..My mate in the know reckons it will only be about half that of the current Nikon version D3S ..Its looking more like a top Sports Newspaper photographers camera and if you want a Wildlife pro camera get a 1DMkIV which is a proven entity in the nature genre in the Canon stable
I have not seen any specs for the buffer size yet however the link below seems to imply that the buffer would improve on the D3S

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/10/hand ... hotos.html

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The IDX is going to have a far smaller RAW buffer than the D3S 48 RAW Buffer and so will the noise handling ability be less than the D3S..The D3S still heads the Low Light High ISO least noise of any camera DSLR 35mm size yet invented and has a much larger Pixel Pitch than the 1DX which now becomes the worlds best press sports photographers camera and Grand Prix and Table Tennis pros are going to love the 1DX with its up to 14 FPS but the D3S is still supreme king with the Wild Life togs who like to shoot in that half an hour before dawn and half an hour after sunset..I can shoot at 10000 ISO with literally no noise because of those uncrushed large pixels The 12 M Pixel FX sensor is the sweet spot for LOW noise High ISO shooting ..Physics 101 :D

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

To get back to the Buffer..with the D3s RAW buffer at 48 plusa bit more I have never shot more than 20-30 ina burst so have never needed 48 and I am trigger happy :D

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Advertisement

There is a Canon EXPO this weekend

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

at Sandton Conference Centre.

PM me should you need more info - or phone Canon. O:V

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014