Converting 8mm, Slides & VHS to Digital

Discuss the technical side of photography
Flutterby

Converting 8mm, Slides & VHS to Digital

Post by Flutterby »

For Christmas last year SO bought me a nifty gadget that converts VHS to digital. It connects your VCR or video camera to your PC and you can download all your videos. It also comes with software which allows you to edit, burn DVD's and upload to FB, YouTube, IPod, IPhone, IPad and PSP. You can also take freeze frame shots from your videos and save them as photos.

Perhaps I should start a little business...anyone want their videos converted? O**

Flutterby

Re: Converting 8mm, Slides & VHS to Digital

Post by Flutterby »

Converting slides

I got hold of all my dad's old slides the other day determined to convert them. I went online for some tips and read that it was possible to scan them on a normal flatbed scanner. But the results weren't too good as there was not enough backlight to illuminate the slide.

I went back online and read up about using my camera to capture the slide. First I got a halogen lamp and taped a piece of white paper over it. I then set up a little stand in front of the light and pegged the slide to it. With my camera on a tripod and using a macro lens I zoomed in on the slide and took the pic...much better!

There are proper scanners you can use which are specifically for slides, or you can take your slides to most photo processing shops who will convert slides to digital. The results will probably be a lot better than my attempts but then you will have to pay them, and of course have a bit of patience...which I don't have! ;-)

steamtrainfan

Re: Old Pics of Kruger

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi H.erectus and Amoli.

Please do not throw away the 8mm films as this is history that will never be seen again.

What I did is to set up my 8mm projector to project onto a wall in our lounge so that the picture on the wall was about 30cm x 30cm . I then set up my video camera right next to the projector, focused it on the movie picture and connected it directly to the DVD recorder. I,ve done all my holiday and train movies like that.

With regard to video I simply went straight from video out on my video player to video in on my dvd recorder. However, this way you record everything - warts and all.

I have also bought the video to pc converter as mentioned by Flutterby but still trying to figure out how it works. With this you can do some fancy editing. Once you have what you want on your pc you then burn a dvd.

Flutterby - thanks for the Letaba 1 ID. I can remember sending Aat the pictures. Glad to hear he has used them.

Richprins - Thanks for the Punda Maria ID.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

steamtrainfan wrote:Hi H.erectus and Amoli.

With regard to video I simply went straight from video out on my video player to video in on my dvd recorder. However, this way you record everything - warts and all.

I have also bought the video to pc converter as mentioned by Flutterby but still trying to figure out how it works. With this you can do some fancy editing. Once you have what you want on your pc you then burn a dvd.
You have explained this to me previously - O/ I will follow this route... \O

I also have the converter programme, and I have the video on my pc now --------- but I can't get it off.
The file is too big - and I have no idea how to break it up into smaller chapters. 0=

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Quite correct Fluttsby, however together with little feeling
for quality and a stiff buck!! It seems more a irretation than
a service!!

Heh,.. H.e
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hmmmmmm Amoli. Sorry but I cannot help you on this one. Maybe one of our gurus will come to your assistance.

I also prefer the video to dvd route. What I used to do was watch the video all the way through making notes of the minutes shown on the video recorder of the sections I wanted to keep. I would then connect the dvd recorder and run the video until I got to a section I wanted and pause it. I would then press record on the dvd recorder and play on the video. Once I came to the mark on the video where I wanted to stop I would simply press pause on the dvd recorder and let the video continue to run until I got to another section I wanted to record and then press play on the dvd recorder because by pausing it , it stays in the record mode. And so I would carry on.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Next Video Converter? Download for free! -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Video Studio works well and is easy to use :-? Maybe we should set up a FTP site and share freeware -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What is FTP? O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Wish me well - I will be spending the day with my Dad,

while we attempt to transfer VHS to a DVD recorder.... O/\ O/\

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”