Photography lessons

Discuss the technical side of photography
iNdlovu

Photography lessons

Post by iNdlovu »

Ok, with much embarrasment I have a confession to make. Although I have owned a few cameras in my life, if they didn't have an automatic setting, I couldn't use them. I have had a Sony DSLR A100 for a number of years and have still not graduated from the automatic setting.
I have 3 lenses, the standard Sony N50 lense a 100 mm - 400 zoom and another one that I can't find right now.

Anyway, hopefully there are a few of us muk & druk people on the forum that hardly know which end of a camera to point in the right direction.
How about you experts (there are many of you on AW) give us a whole bunch of detailed lessons on the finer points of using a camera. Remember I have no idea what the word exposure, F settings etc mean and couldn't even find them on the camera if I tried.

0()

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Amoli

Re: Photography lessons

Post by Amoli »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Wonderful Indy. My Automatic Focus on my lens has seized and I have to go manual at the moment.

I will keep my eyes fixed here.. \O

oi, but no lengthy pastes off the internet.... cos I don't understand them. I need a slow.. clear.. picture. =O: =O: =O:

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Me too Amoli, in very simple basic language

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

This is no easy task. Everyone is at a different level when it comes to photography.

May I suggest, to get the ball rolling, somebody asks a direct question about the camera, light reading, settings or anything else. It will be easier to address a certain subject than start on a random idea that could bore everyone.

I know this thread is meant to create discussion and I can still learn plenty from the boffins on the forum, and I might be able to help some that know less than me. But, before asking without trying, go and play on this link http://www.dryreading.com/camera/index.html for a while.

After that we can discuss and inform in a lay mans language how all of these settings work and how to use them. The basics stay the same for ANY camera.

Play a bit and then fire away with questions.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Question 1). Which way do I aim the camera?

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

iNdlovu wrote:Question 1). Which way do I aim the camera?
If you are taking a self portrait, face the little screen away from you. ;-)

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

If I must read the article for my question - please tell me.

My lighting is correct, the ISO is correct - yet my pics come out over exposed! This can happen in early morning light and even worse in sunlight.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Amoli wrote:If I must read the article for my question - please tell me.

My lighting is correct, the ISO is correct - yet my pics come out over exposed! This can happen in early morning light and even worse in sunlight.
Amoli, first of all, correct exposure comprises of three components...Shutter speed, aperture (f-stop) and ISO. Change one and you have to compensate by changing one or both of the others.

By saying that your pics are over or under exposed, do you mean the subject or the entire image?

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

You two have already lost me. Where do I find these knobs for the above settings on the camera or is it set within the menu thingy

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Sprocky wrote:
Amoli wrote:If I must read the article for my question - please tell me.

Amoli, first of all, correct exposure comprises of three components...Shutter speed, aperture (f-stop) and ISO. Change one and you have to compensate by changing one or both of the others.

By saying that your pics are over or under exposed, do you mean the subject or the entire image?
The entire image Sprocky. Somebody said to me I must adjust my white balance.. but that is only increasing into the different colours.
My grass looks blue?

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”